The toughest point of any holiday bash is that awkward transition between the bosses ho-hum speech to the dance music. One of the better ways to smooth out that segue and get the whole crowd involved in your show is a trivia contest. You can take the simple approach and toss out a brain teaser between songs, or organize teams and turn it into a real production.
Here’s a list of 20 holiday Questions that should (slightly) challenge any crowd. Expand beyond the list with some of your own questions, or try your own version of “Name That Tune” using old TV show and commercial themes. Seldom will you find a crowd that doesn’t enjoy a dose of trivia.
For an added marketing twist, print up the questions (with or without the answers) on your letterhead and pass them out as give-aways.
TOP 20 HOLIDAY TRIVIA QUESTIONS
1. Who invented the art of giving Christmas presents?
2. Who sang Grandma got run over by a reindeer?
3. How many eggs are in eight quarts of eggnog?
4. How did red and green become the traditional colors of Christmas?
5. For what movie could you say that Santa won an Academy Award?
6. What is the average temperature of The North Pole
7. Where was I when “I saw mommy kissing Santa Clause?
8. “The Gift of The Magi” was written by whom?
9. Name Santa’s reindeer
10. Boris Karloff was the star of what TV Christmas favorite?
11. Christmas, Florida is closest to what major city?
12. What famous Christmas story begins with the line, “One dollar and eighty-seven cents”?
13. Name the most commercially successful Christmas Film.
14. Name 3 actors who played scrooge in the movies.
15. Name Bill Murray’s Christmas classic.
16. “God Bless us, everyone!” is the end of what Christmas epic?
17. True or False: In South American countries, setting off fireworks is a popular way of celebrating Christmas.
18. The “Chipmunks Christmas song” came out in what year?
19. True or False: Christmas is not celebrated in the Philippines.
20. Name six of the all time top 10 Christmas songs.
1. The three wise men
2. Elmo & Patsy
3. A dozen
4. In early times, Red apples decorated Green trees.
5. Miracle on 34th st. Edmund Gwenn played Santa and won an Academy Award.
6. 21′ F
7. On the stairs
8. O Henry
9. Rudolph, Dasher, Comet, Dancer, Cupid, Prancer, Vixen, Blitzen, and Dancer
10. “How the Grinch stole Christmas”
12. “The Gift of The Magi”
13. “Home Alone”
14. W.C. Fields, Jim Carrey, Kelsey Grammer, Derek Jacobi, John Magquire, Jack Palance, Cyril Ritchard, Basil Rathbone, Michael Caine, and, Alastair Sim.
16. “A Christmas Carol” said by Tiny Tim
20. White Christmas – Bing Crosby, Silent Night – Bing Crosby, Rudolph the red nose reindeer – Gene Autry, Chipmunk song – Chipmunks, I saw mommy kissing Santa Clause – Jimmy Boyd, Little drummer boy – The Harry Simeone Chorale, Do they know it’s Christmas – Band Aid, I’ll be home for Christmas – Bing Crosby, Grandma got run over by a reindeer – Elmo & Patsy, Jingle Bell Rock – Bobby Helms
Special Thanks to David Varga for his help with these.
1. What is the single best selling song of all time?
2. Name 3 more names for Santa Clause.
3. What item of clothing was Ma wearing in “Twas the night before Christmas”?
4. What was the little girls name in “The Grinch who stole Christmas”?
5. Who did the voice of the original Grinch?
1. White Christmas
2. St. Nicholas, Kris Kringle, Father Christmas
4. Cindy Lou Who
5. Boris Karloff
The Twelve Days of Christmas
A partridge in a pear tree
2 Turtle doves
3 French hens
4 Calling birds
5 Golden rings
6 Geese a laying
7 Swans a swimming
8 Maids a milking
9 Pipers Piping
10 Ladies Dancing
11 Lords a leaping
12 Drummers Drumming
Have fun with these.